Wednesday, September 14, 2011

First Day of School, Home-style


We started our first week of homeschool last week... and really liked it! It has added great structure to our days, and has worked well with Phoebe's morning nap. I really like the focused attention with the big girls. So far they like learning, and that is good. :) We are using the dining room table, which has worked out just fine. Our first day of our HS coop is tomorrow. We'll be there for 3 1/2 hours and Hope will get choir, art, gym and science.

In case anyone is interested, we're using:
Teach Your Child To Read in 100 Easy Lessons (reading)
Explode the Code (phonics)
A Reason for Handwriting
Horizons Math K
History for Little Pilgrims

I did not find any of these on my own. I seem to be in the middle of a pretty great homeschooling community here in the mid-west. It seems like there are a lot of us. And a lot of practical helps for me. We don't know how long we'll do this, but for this time, its started off well, and we're having fun.


4 comments:

The Marshmans said...

I love the explode the code books! they are simple and fun and Georgia really learned a lot from them! Proud of you mama & praying for God's grace as you embark on this great adventure!

Anonymous said...

I love the bulletin board, sister! Wish I could be their teacher everyday... (it'd be way more fun than my 4th graders...) ;)
How long do you go? All day or morning?
I'm excited to hear about it! Yay learning!

Love, Auntie Robin

Sarah said...

Welcome to the homeschool world! I really enjoy it also. It's fun to be with the kids and to watch them learn and grow. I love the Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Lessons. Used it with Nathan and now with Emily. Great book! Also did Horizons Math (K) with Nathan. Using something different now, but looks like you are off to a great start!! Glad you have a great support system there! That is a huge blessing! Love you all!
Love,
Sarah

Mrank said...

I'm excited to see what you learn and how you guys do homeschooling. Scott and I are already researching and thinking about homeschooling, and I know I have a lot to learn to be ready!