Tuesday, July 20, 2010

5K

On July 10th I ran in my first 5K. I was motivated by some mommy running friends in Louisville who were about to run in the half-marathon there when we visited in April. And was motivated to just get in shape. So, when I got home, I started the "Couch to 5K" program, which I had started before but only got half-way through, looked up some local 5K's, and set a goal. And, by the grace of God, who gives me the strength and will-power to accomplish anything, was able to run the whole time, which was my goal. :) The training was only torturous for the first few weeks, and then I started to enjoy it and to be able to pray, or think about other things while I ran instead of how I tired I was. :)

I learned a few things running in my first race:

1. It is definitely not cool to wear your race shirt, on race day. You're supposed to have a hip running outfit.
2. Also not cool to wear your race number pinned to your back. Nobody does that - you're supposed to wear it pinned to your front. I went into the porta potty to switch it once I got there and found out my error.
3. Its fun to run in a race. Everybody's really nice and encouraging. And you can beat some people.
4. I got passed by a lot of people, but by the end I was passing the kids.
5. I have the best family in the world. There's nothing like seeing them cheering me on at mile 2 with claps and cheers.
6. They should categorize the winners not by ages, but by leg length. That would be much more fair.
7. I hope running continues to be a life-long hobby, although I have a feeling that the ice and the snow coming in a few months might damage my ambitions.
8. All in all it was a great experience, and it felt really good to meet a goal.




Anna looks in shock that I finished and Hopey's looking for the snacks.


For memory sake: #643

10 comments:

Cope Family said...

Wow! stephanie I am super impressed!! Way to go! congratulations on meeting your set goal and now having a great hobby!

Anonymous said...

I am so stinkin' impressed! Here's to being healthy sisters together!
I love you Steph.

p.s. I think you look super hip in your race shirt and shorts anyway. ;)

<3, Rob

Anonymous said...

That is a wonderful accomplishmen t!!! I don't know how far 5k is, but I know it's a long way! I really love #6!
Love you,
Mom

Jenni Naselli said...

Wow, Stephanie!! I'm really proud of you - that is amazing that you ran the entire thing!! And I thoroughly enjoyed your lessons in being "hip."

Love,
Jenni

Alex and Marcella said...

I am so proud of you! :) Keep it up!

Tasha said...

You ran a 5k and your youngest somewhere over 1. Awe, that gives this new mommy hope of being able just to walk by myself some day!

ninest123 said...

louboutin shoes, nike free, sac longchamp, louis vuitton, christian louboutin outlet, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, replica watches, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, longchamp outlet, oakley sunglasses, longchamp, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ugg boots, cheap oakley sunglasses, kate spade outlet, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, uggs on sale, ugg boots, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, longchamp outlet, nike free, louboutin pas cher, tiffany and co, prada outlet, nike roshe run, michael kors, longchamp pas cher, louboutin outlet, gucci outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, air max, tiffany jewelry, polo ralph lauren outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike air max, chanel handbags, nike air max, air jordan pas cher, louboutin, oakley sunglasses, burberry, louis vuitton

ninest123 said...

ralph lauren uk, timberland, true religion jeans, hollister pas cher, north face, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, north face, new balance pas cher, converse pas cher, nike air max, air force, true religion jeans, replica handbags, mulberry, ray ban uk, hermes, hollister, tn pas cher, michael kors outlet, hogan, michael kors outlet, vanessa bruno, true religion outlet, lacoste pas cher, nike roshe, coach purses, nike blazer, abercrombie and fitch, ray ban pas cher, michael kors, kate spade handbags, coach outlet, vans pas cher, oakley pas cher, sac guess, michael kors, coach outlet, nike air max, ugg boots, nike free run uk, burberry outlet online, michael kors, michael kors outlet, nike air max, burberry, lululemon, michael kors, michael kors outlet, ugg boots

ninest123 said...

hollister, timberland boots, longchamp, instyler, vans shoes, converse, lululemon, mcm handbags, birkin bag, chi flat iron, mac cosmetics, reebok shoes, converse outlet, ghd, baseball bats, iphone cases, lancel, valentino shoes, abercrombie and fitch, vans, nfl jerseys, beats by dre, herve leger, new balance, babyliss, p90x workout, soccer shoes, celine handbags, mont blanc, wedding dresses, north face outlet, louboutin, hollister, nike trainers, hollister, nike huarache, bottega veneta, soccer jerseys, asics running shoes, nike roshe, oakley, nike air max, ferragamo shoes, jimmy choo shoes, ray ban, insanity workout, ralph lauren, north face outlet, gucci, nike air max

ninest123 said...

ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, wedding dresses, canada goose, pandora charms, louis vuitton, supra shoes, moncler, moncler, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, moncler, pandora jewelry, moncler, moncler, moncler, swarovski, toms shoes, moncler outlet, louis vuitton, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose, swarovski crystal, bottes ugg, coach outlet, louis vuitton, marc jacobs, moncler, links of london, ugg boots uk, hollister, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, sac louis vuitton pas cher, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, replica watches, thomas sabo, canada goose, ugg pas cher, karen millen, pandora jewelry, montre pas cher, canada goose uk, doudoune canada goose