Tuesday, October 27, 2009

On Being Short.

I don't mind being short most days. I don't think about it a lot and most of the time it doesn't bother me. But there are quite a few quirks that a short person, such as I, must deal with. So, I thought I would share so that you can sympathize with your short friends.

My pants are too long. I always buy short or petite length, but they are still 1-2 inches too long. Once in a while I will hem them haphazardly as I don't sew, but most of the time I just deal with it.

This leads me to the second observation. Living in a wet climate such as Illinois, the bottom of my pants are often wet. I decided a while back to give up on fashion and start rolling up my pants when its wet outside. I look really cool like this!

I often don't use the top shelves of my kitchen cupboards. Its just too much work.

I usually have my beloved step-stool close by. Its a plastic white step-stool that I bought to use in my dorm room in college. Its pretty beat up and not really white anymore, but I can't bear to part with it since its been with me through so much. Hope uses it now for various things and Anna currently likes to pull up on it.

My girls will be taller than me by the time they are 13. Or 10. They have consistently been taller than other kids their age on the charts.

A few weeks ago when I was carrying Anna in the snugglie, a lady said, "She's almost bigger than you!" Ha ha, very funny :)

Sometimes I stand on the bottom shelf at the grocery store to reach things on a higher shelf. Every time I do it, I think "One of these days the shelf is going to come crashing down." It just might, but I keep doing it.

Being short makes me look even more younger than I already look. This past summer our neighborhood had a block party thing. A lady had a booth set up to sell her jewelry. As I walked by looking at her stuff her husband said,"She's got great stuff you could use for the prom." I chuckled and said "Oh, I'm beyond the prom." He then said it again for some reason. I smiled at his wife who looked embarrassed and then I walked on pushing my double stroller.

When Mark and I were first married we were out visiting people who had visited the church for the first time. We knocked on the door of a house and a woman came to the door. Mark explained to her why we were there, asked her a couple of questions, and then introduced me as his wife. She laughed incredulously and told us she thought he was my dad.

In sixth grade the boy that all the little girls had crushes on used to call me Tall Grass. I don't think I knew he was making fun of me at the time :) In high school my best friend's boyfriend called me Willow. It was a joke and he wasn't trying to me mean, but you probably shouldn't call a 16 year old girl a name that invokes images of a hairy dwarf man.

I've always liked that song by Alan Jackson, "Its alright to be little-bity." It has a good message anyway, but I mainly just liked it because I was short.

People always told me I would like looking younger when I'm older. I think I'm in that transition phase now. I haven't been offered the kids menu at a restaurant in several years now, so that's nice. I'll really appreciate it in about 10 years probably.

I married a tall boy. That wasn't the only reason I married him of course. I also married him for his riches. ;)

Sometimes I try (not very hard) to think of the reasons why God made me short. As if there's some event that someday will take place and I'll think "Aha! This is it! My purpose!" But, really, people come in all different shapes and sizes and I'm happy to be made on the shorter end of things. It makes me somewhat unique, and helps to keep me humble.

14 comments:

Jason P. Franklin said...

Very good post. Of course, it makes me want to write one on the trials of being tall. (Can't fit into many cars, pants too short, shirt sleeves too short, Why did Cal Baptist put my mailbox on the bottom row, etc.)

Thanks for sharing, And I would never have called you Willow (but I might have called you a smurf if you wore blue.)

Cope Family said...

Hilarious!! AND I can relate on many levels!

Alex and Marcella said...

I was laughing out loud!!! Oh, the joy of being so short. I think it's people thinking I'm much younger than I actually am that bothers me the most. But, I know I should try and be content with exactly how God made me (but really one or two inches taller would have been nice!). :)

sherry said...

Remember when I thought Robin was you? I just assumed that the tiny sister was the younger sister :) I drag my step stool around with me, too. People often laugh at me for this, but what am I supposed to do??

Anonymous said...

You get your shortness legitimately, just look at the pictures with you and Mamaw and Papaw. I love the size you are. You give great hugs....
Dad

Anonymous said...

I laughed many times through this post. Thanks for making me laugh and for your great attitude. I especially loved your reference about marrying Mark for his riches. I often wondered why you married him:)
I love you just the way God made you. You are perfect.
lr

RobinDayle said...

I love that we are short girls. I'm MUCH rather be a short girl, and deal with a few small annoyances, than be a tall girl and deal with a ton. I feel little and feminine. I thinnk you are cute (this from your sister who is a mere 2 inches taller than you).
I love you sis.

Tasha said...

You are a rather hilarious person!!! Thank you so much for the insight! I really enjoy your wit! Can't you tell by all of the exclamations marks?!?!

Heather said...

Steph you make me laugh! I miss you!

Amy said...

This was hillarious! My neighbor told me the other day she thought I was 19. (What 19 year old owns a home?) And just today I went in to get a scantron and was told good luck on my test! I held my tongue instead of teeling her I was giving the test! =) And I'm not even short!

ninest123 said...

wedding dresses, louis vuitton, links of london, bottes ugg, marc jacobs, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose outlet, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, doudoune canada goose, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora charms, thomas sabo, swarovski crystal, moncler, pandora jewelry, pandora charms, canada goose, moncler, moncler, canada goose, moncler outlet, canada goose, hollister, swarovski, moncler, ugg boots uk, louis vuitton, canada goose, moncler, sac louis vuitton pas cher, replica watches, pandora jewelry, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, moncler, coach outlet, moncler

ninest123 said...

abercrombie and fitch, hollister, birkin bag, nfl jerseys, ray ban, nike roshe, montre pas cher, instyler, ghd, converse outlet, mac cosmetics, north face outlet, jimmy choo shoes, ferragamo shoes, juicy couture outlet, juicy couture outlet, nike air max, ralph lauren, wedding dresses, reebok shoes, insanity workout, vans shoes, lancel, soccer shoes, converse, p90x workout, babyliss, asics running shoes, bottega veneta, supra shoes, herve leger, baseball bats, hollister, nike air max, karen millen, north face outlet, toms shoes, soccer jerseys, chi flat iron, beats by dre, oakley, valentino shoes, gucci, new balance, mont blanc, mcm handbags, vans, louboutin, celine handbags, timberland boots

ninest123 said...

burberry, burberry outlet online, north face, oakley pas cher, timberland, michael kors, mulberry, nike trainers, true religion outlet, nike air max, ray ban uk, sac guess, nike air max, vans pas cher, hollister pas cher, new balance pas cher, ray ban pas cher, abercrombie and fitch, true religion jeans, michael kors, michael kors outlet, longchamp, michael kors outlet, hollister, hermes, michael kors outlet, michael kors, nike huarache, true religion jeans, true religion jeans, nike air max, michael kors outlet, air force, hogan, ugg boots, coach purses, converse pas cher, nike free run uk, lacoste pas cher, tn pas cher, ralph lauren uk, nike blazer, ugg boots, hollister, michael kors outlet, lululemon, nike roshe, north face, vanessa bruno, michael kors

ninest123 said...

ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, uggs on sale, coach outlet, kate spade outlet, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, nike outlet, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton, replica handbags, ugg boots, jordan shoes, nike air max, louboutin shoes, nike roshe run, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, nike free, nike air max, gucci outlet, longchamp pas cher, tiffany and co, cheap oakley sunglasses, burberry, longchamp, louboutin pas cher, air max, ugg boots, tiffany jewelry, coach outlet, replica watches, sac longchamp, prada outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin, chanel handbags, air jordan pas cher, michael kors, kate spade handbags, replica watches, nike free, ralph lauren pas cher, tory burch outlet, louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet