Sunday, July 13, 2008

Arise!

One of our favorite things about our new church here is its focus on Grace. It is a new and refreshing focus for me. It makes for a very joy-filled, gracious church. Sometimes, I can focus so much on my sin and God's hatred of sin, that I forget to focus on His grace towards me. That there is now "no condemnation" for those who are in Christ. Sometimes I subconsiously think I have to work my way back to God. That if I havnen't prayed in a few days, or if I've been snappy, or if I've sinned in anyway, He couldn't possibly let me be in His presence. I have to get right before I go back to Him. This is just not true, and not in the Bible. God's love for me surpasses all loves. I could never know the depth. He also has forgiven me, and my sins have been taken care of on the cross. I bear them no more. This sets me free to live a life in thankfulness for this Grace that is hard to comprehend, but deeply wonderful. Below are the words to a song we sang this morning, that helped me to have a right mindset in worship. Even though I wasn't perfect before church, God used this song to remind me that I am free in Christ and no longer condemned.

Arise, My Soul, Arise

arise, my soul, arise - shake off your guilty fears.
the bleeding Sacrifice in my behalf appears.
before the throne my Surety stands
before the throne my Surety stands:
my Name is written on His hands.

arise! arise! arise,
arise my soul arise!
arise! arise! arise,
arise my soul, arise!
shake off your guilty fears and rise!

He ever lives above for me to intercede,
His all-redeeming love, His precious blood to plead.
His blood atones for every race
His blood atones for every race
and sprinkles now the throne of grace.

five bleeding wounds He bears,
received on calvary;
they pour effectual prayers,
they strongly plead for me.
"forgive them, o forgive!" they cry.
"forgive them, o forgive!" they cry,
"nor let that ransomed sinner die!"

my God is reconciled; His pardoning voice i hear.
He owns me for His child - i can no longer fear.
with confidence i now draw nigh
with confidence i now draw nigh
and "Abba, Father, Abba" cry.

arise! arise! arise,
arise my soul arise!
arise! arise! arise,
arise my soul, arise!
shake off your guilty fears and rise!

No comments: