Monday, August 13, 2007

"Special Student"

What is a "special student?" Well, I guess at Southern Seminary it the label they give to people who have already graduated yet for some reason stick around and keep taking classes (I would like to use a little bus joke here, but am not sure if that is offensive or not). The new semester began today. I am taking a Greek Exegesis class on the book of James, as well as a Hebrew class.

I will also continue to work at my church. I am preaching through the life of David on Sunday mornings along with my senior pastor. And starting this Sunday I am teaching a class on Sunday nights called "The Story of Christianity." It is basically a survey of Christianity from AD 30 to today. So other than Greek and Hebrew, much of my study will be on David and Christian history. If I am still awake at the end of the day, I'll post some of what I learn or think or wonder about these topics here. If I fall asleep pictures of Hope will be the norm, and you will all probably enjoy this blog much more.

Right now I am reading J. N. D. Kelly's Early Christian Doctrines, Bruce Shelley's Church History in Plain Language, Douglas Moo's Commentary on James (Pillar series), and a Catholic commentary on James from the Sacra Pagina series. What are you reading? What classes are you taking or teaching?

2 comments:

Keith said...

I read "Paradox in Christian Theology" by James Anderson recently (sorry for no italics, I am not sure how to add them on here). It is an excellent book! I highly recommend it. It has big implications for philosophy, theology, exegesis, and ministry.

It is heavy in contemporary analytic philosophy in places and so those not used to doing that kind of reading might get bogged down in places, but it is a really good book. He primarily uses the Trinity and Christology as case studies but he suggests its implication for discussions of sovereignty and responsibility. I hope to try to tease that out some for a seminar this semester.

Along similar lines I want to read another book by Paternoster called "Faith Lacking Understanding" when it comes out. It is recommended by Oliver Crisp so I expect it should be good.

I haven't had a chance to comment again but I will when I get a chance.

Mark said...

Keith,
Thanks for sharing what you are reading. I'll take a look at it in the library soon. Although I feel like I have my reading mapped out for the next 4 months, and I probably won't be able to do all that. I'll put it on a list for later.

No worries on the no time to comment. I more than understand. I haven't even thought about Edwards in the past week. The semester hit, and its been crazy this week. I tried to map out my whole Story of Christianity class and prepare the first class, this week.

Right now I'm doing some reading on the early church's (100-500) view of Scripture.