Thursday, December 01, 2005

All Done!

First of all, I never would have guessed I'd have an all time high of responses to my post about how google makes money off of Blogger.com. Enough of that. thanks for the education everyone. It is amazing how much I can learn if I just ask:)

Second, I just finished my last final of the semester. The feelings of relief and relaxation have not quite set in, but I'm sure they will. Bring on Christmas!

Soon to come, some thoughts on ridiculous articles I've reading against Intelligent Design. Here are my thoughts in a nutshell: It is annoying to hear over and over again that ID theory is just fundamentist religion (creationism) veiled with scientific terminology. I have read this from several people claiming to be on the side of the thoughtful and intellectual. Have they noticed that many of the most prominent scientists advocating Intelligent Design theory aren't even Christians, or theists at all? But hey, I guess it is easy to avoid thoughtful debate and instead throw out loaded words like "fundamentalist" and "religious right." In fact, this is a favorite strategy of actual fundamentalists (using words like "liberal" for everyone). Well, I may have sufficiently gotten that off my chest. I may not need to write anything further. Oh, and if you are one who thinks the introduction of Intelligent Design theory in schools is nothing more than a religious doctrine being taught as science, please respond. I would be interested in dialoging with you.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Hmmm, I must be one of those radical fundamentalist religious right wackos.

My issue with ID is that it doesn't go far enough ;-).

Paleontology and paleoanthropology in particular are built on a house of cards. There are certain foundational assumptions upon which these sciences base the rest of their inquiry. These assumptions, unfortunately, are above question and are taught as dogma rather than theory or hypothesis. Any scientific inquiry which challenges these core assumptions is denounced and ignored and the scientist discredited.

These are not the actions of true scientists, but of a paranoid religious priesthood, a fundamentalism as bad as the so called religious right. I’m reminded of an old saying, “Well if that’s not the pot calling the kettle black.”

Mark said...

Not far enough?! Oh, you are definitely an extreme right wing fundy.

It is interesting how they attack some religious worldview ID scientists supposedly have, while ignoring their own philosophical assumptions.

I guess it is easier to call names and marginalize a group of people, than it is to allow them to challenge your beliefs.