Tuesday, October 25, 2005

When cell phones take over prayer rooms....

During a prayer request time in the beginning of a class this morning two requests were given for parents dealing with difficult pregnancies. Please pray them. One family in California just had a baby who had a rough delivery, and ended up going brain dead. They are mourning in a hospital somewhere where another baby is in need of a heart. They are trying to make the difficult decision to give their precious child's heart to another. Here in Louisville a pregnant mother at 36 weeks is having complications and will receive an emergency c-section today. Please pray for both of these families and babies.

As I heard these requests I was overwhelmed with emotion and a need to pray. Since a seminary classroom is not always the best place to give vent to emotion (tears, etc), or prolonged and focused prayer, I left. I headed for the prayer room around the corner. As I neared it, I saw a girl in front of me talking on her cell phone. As I was about to reach my safe haven of prayer she felt compelled to continue her conversation in the prayer room. She entered, shut the door, and I heard it lock. After another 3 minutes of wandering I found a quiet place and after getting over my frustration I prayed.

I wonder, how often does technology interrupt our prayer? What if my computer wasn't constantly hooked up to the entire world? What if I couldn't call someone every time I felt lonely? What if my car stereo didn't work, and I was forced to make long (or short) drives in silence? What if tv didn't exist? Would I listen more? Would I think about God more? Would I notice beauty more?

Would there be more place to express our heart to God? Would the silence help? Would I pray more?

4 comments:

Michael Ward said...

May it be brother. Let us pray more.

Make it happen Lord Jesus. Captivate us and enable us to run after you.

Anonymous said...

It is a sad thing when people use a prayer room as a phone booth, so that they can conveniently have a private conversation. There is a certain irony.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,
I know what you mean. Recently I haven't been doing the greatest, and calbap surely doesn't have many rooms at 10 o'clock at night that one can just go and sit in. The upstairs corner of the library has been helpful though.
Today I went to expedia.com and looked up the prices for a roundtrip to louisville...I'd love to be there and not here right now.
I love you guys.
<3, Robin

Mark said...

Yes anonymous, it is ironic.

Robin, come on over anytime. Stephanie and I would enjoy having you visit. And remember, difficult times suck, but we always grow the most during them.